Softgoods Buyer/Assistant Manager
Granite Chief, a full service ski and mountain shop in the Tahoe/Truckee area is looking for a Softgoods Buyer/Manager to join our team. Individual must be an experienced, high-energy retail professional that is active in skiing and the outdoors. Submit resume and cover letter for consideration to Herb@GraniteChief.com and Treas@GraniteChief.com.
The Softgoods Buyer position will work with our management team to select and purchase product lines that follow current trends that fit within our customer demographics. Buying seasons are summer and winter and may include attending up to two tradeshows per season. In addition to preseason merchandise bookings, it is also the buyer’s responsibility to track sell through and open to buy levels. Staying on top of high turn product is important to the success of our business. Categories include: skiwear, outdoor specialty apparel, seasonal footwear, sports specific activewear, (such as running, hiking, climbing, swim and travel), and accessories.
In addition to buying our department managers are required to clinic staff on product technology, features, and benefits. Department merchandising and display is key to product sell through, the Softgoods Buyer/Manager is also responsible to identify a sales associate to help with department upkeep and window displays.
The store operates with two department managers, softgoods and hardgoods and one assistant manager. Each manager is required to open and close the store and must have strong knowledge of all company policy and procedures. The third member of our management team acts as an assistant or manager in training.
Each retail department Buyer/Manager is not only responsible for bringing product into the store but equally responsible for sell through. This individual must have strong customer relations and sales experience and able to teach the sales staff how to greet customers, and assist with product needs and knowledge. Setting an example of sales and customer interaction is critical to facilitate sustainable growth.
Retail Buyer Responsibilities
- Identifying customer preferences and forecasting consumer trends
- Evaluating supplier options according to prices, quality etc. and determine the best choices
- Discovering and purchasing new products and checking the quality and popularity of those already on our shelves
- Attend regional and national trade shows
Assistant Manager Responsibilities
- Ensure high levels of customer satisfaction through excellent sales service
- Assess customers needs and provide assistance and information on product features
- Follow and achieve department’s sales goals on a monthly, quarterly and yearly basis
- “Go the extra mile” to drive sales and train staff to do the same
- Maintain in-stock and presentable condition assigned areas
- Actively seek out customers in store
- Process POS (point of sale) purchases
- Team up with co-workers to ensure proper customer service
- Build productive trust relationships with customers
Ideally you will have:
- 1+ years of proven experience at a Store Buyer in an outdoor retail POS environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Merchandising skills and experience
- Ability to work weekends & holidays
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, lead and delegate.
- Must exhibit a high degree of flexibility, maintain a solution-driven focus in challenging situations, adapt quickly to changing business requirements
- Strong computer skills and experience with MS Office (especially Excel) and POS systems.
Health Reimbursement after 90 days . Paid vacation after first year . Season Ski Pass up to $500 reimbursement at the end of first ski season, immediate reimbursement when Squaw Valley’s KT lift opens for the season in subsequent years.
Position Type: Full Time
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job seekers must live within: 20 miles
Willing to Travel: Yes
Required Experience Required: 1-3 years
Wage: Hourly, Based on experience – plus annual bonus