Granite Chief's 5th Annual Shreddit Showdown | Ski Movie Contest Details
The Shreddit Showdown is a Ski Movie Contest! Filmmakers have all season to gather their squad and hit the slopes, park, or head into the backcountry to film their best shots and produce a winning 3-minute ski movie edit. The top 3 finalists of each age group get to sit back and watch their edit while the entire theater hoots and hollers in excitement. It all happens on the big screen at the Art Haus Theater.
The 5th Annual Shreddit Showdown is sponsored by some of the biggest names in the ski world including Blizzard, Tecnica, FlyLow, Orage, Smith Optics, GoPro, and Backcountry Access. The prizes are awesome and the event is one of the sweetest in Tahoe. If you don't live in Tahoe you can still participate and submit your ski movie edit. There are three contest categories, adult, 18 and older; teen 13 to 17; and grom, 12 years old and younger. You have from right now through March 17th to film your footage and produce your three-minute edit. Submissions start on February 15th and end at 11:59:59pm on March 17th. Filmmakers have a chance to win big, just for doing what you love; skiing, filming, and editing!
All entries must have skiing as the central theme and storyline, and must not exceed 3 minutes in length. We're not fanatical about a few seconds over-run, but keep it tight. Need some ideas to get you filming? Check out entries from previous years on our blog. Your film should have some great skiing (duh!), popping music, a catchy storyline, and make your viewers want to get out there and SKI!
Note: By submitting your ski movie you are agreeing to and have thoroughly read the rules and terms of the Shreddit Showdown Contest. Please read the judging criteria carefully as there have been changes since last year! (One of those changes is frame rate - it must be 24 fps.) Need some inspiration? Check out the winning edits from the 4th Annual Shreddit Showdown here.
IMPORTANT MOVIE FILMING FORMAT INFO! HIGHEST RESOLUTION POSSIBLE and MUST BE SHOT IN 24 fps.
Remember your movie will be playing on the big screen at a real movie theater. Please follow the required high standards of filming and formatting your ski movie edit. If you are not sure how to set your camera to the required standards check with your camera manufacturer or GOOGLE IT!
CONTEST PERIOD and TIMELINE:
VIDEO ENTRIES: This year we're switching up the deadlines a bit, so be sure to take note of the changes. Video entries for the 5th Annual Shreddit Showdown will be accepted starting February 15th, 2018 via the Shreddit Showdown Entry Form found on GraniteChief.com on this blog. You must first upload you video to Vimeo. The last day to submit your edit is at midnight on Saturday, March 17th, 2018.
FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO SUBMIT YOUR SKI MOVIE:
- Upload your video entry to your personal Vimeo account. If you do not have a Vimeo account, you will need to create one at Vimeo.com.
- When you upload your video, make sure the privacy settings are set to "anyone", for “who can watch this video”, your video must be downloadable!!!
- Once uploaded, copy the direct link for your video and paste it into the designated Vimeo link box on the submission form found on GraniteChief.com. There will be a TEXT LINK to the SUBMISSION FORM on the home page header at GraniteChief.com. Since a high-resolution video will be needed for screening, make sure that your video is uploaded in the highest resolution possible and is made available for downloading.
- PEOPLE'S CHOICE VOTING: Voting for the 5th Annual Shreddit Showdown People's Choice starts on February 16th, 2018 and closes on March 20th, 2018 at 11:59 pm*. Voting is on Facebook Granite Chief Ski & Mountain Shop. Each LIKE = 1 vote - each HEART icon = 2 votes. Share your video post on GC Facebook page to your timeline and the timeline of your friends and family. Spread the word to vote for your Shreddit Showdown Ski Movie. Remember GoPro is giving away a Hero6 Black Edition camera to the adult, teen and grom with the highest total of LIKES and Hearts. ***If your entries has the most People's Choice votes in your category and is also selected as one of the top three winning entries, Grand Prize, 2nd Place, or 3rd Place, you will not be eligible for the People's Choice Award. Filmmakers can not win one of the top three awards and the People's Choice Award.
From there a panel of expert eyes with a passion for skiing and filmmaking will be judging entries for the three categories: adult, teen, and from. Grand Prize - 2nd Place - 3rd Place - Silver Bullet Award.
AWARDS CEREMONY: The awards ceremony and red carpet viewing premiere will take place at the Tahoe Art Haus & Cinema in Tahoe City, CA on Wednesday, March 28th at 7:30pm.
*The Sponsors of the 5th Annual Shreddit Showdown Ski Movie Contest reserve the right to extend the end date for submissions through March, depending on the snow conditions.
GRANITE CHIEF SKI & MOUNTAIN SHOP
- BCA (BACKCOUNTRY ACCESS)
GROM & TEEN JUDGING: Building on the Grom and Teen categories of last year's Annual Shreddit Showdown we are further refining the judging criteria for year 5. In the past all video were scored based on the same five criteria points which were: (1) Entertainment Value, (2) Sound Quality, (3) Lighting Quality, (4) Music Choice, & (5) Overall Creativity. All of which were weighted equally. Our judging criteria for the Groms and Teens will consist of the following 4 categories: (1) Creativity, (2) Technicality of Skiing, (3) Variety of Skiing, & (4) Overall Impression. But what do these categories mean you may ask? Hold your horses slugger cause here’s the break down. To keep things clear, this is the exact wording that will appear on the judges’ scorecards.
- VARIETY OF SKIING: How well is the skier shredding in multiple conditions. Are they skiing the same face, or are they mixing it up with a hairy line, then jamming into a natural booter for a backie? Are they sliding rails while simultaneously pushing their limits on the steeps? On 1-10 scale, how would you score the Variety of Skiing in this edit?
- CREATIVITY: How well did the skier think outside the box and create an edit that has something unique. On 1-10 scale, how would you score the creativity of this edit? Is the film footage all POV, or were the perspectives varied for a bit of Creative spice?
- TECHNICALITY OF SKIING : How well is the skier in control? Are they in good form for the type of skiing they are doing, or is their body movement all over the map, while they constantly "roll down the windows" as they air it out? On 1-10 scale, how would you score the Technical level of skiing in this edit?
- OVERALL IMPRESSION: Did this edit get you excited to go skiing? Did you want to jump out of your seat when you witnessed that ender? Did the journey of the trial and triumph make you remember why we all love skiing and the outdoors? On 1-10 scale how would you score the Overall Impression of this edit?
ADULT JUDGING: Now with the Adult age group we are looking to judge in some similar aspects, but less on the ability levels, and more on the production value and quality. Our judging criteria for the Adults will consist of the following 5 categories: (1) Creativity, (2) Entertainment Value, (3) Use of Equipment & Terrain, (4) Talent, and (5) Overall Impression. To keep things clear, this is the exact wording that will appear on the judges’ scorecards.
- TALENT: Pretty self-explanatory. Are the skiers in your edit any good for crying out loud?! On a scale of 1-10, how Talented were the featured skiers in this edit?
- ENTERTAINMENT VALUE: From beginning to end, were you interested in the storyline and/or footage? Was it so good you didn’t want it to end? On a 1-10 scale, how Entertaining was this edit?
- CREATIVITY: Did the skier think outside the box to create an edit that has something unique? On 1-10 scale, how would you score the Creativity of this edit?
- USE OF EQUIPMENT & TERRAIN: Here is where we try to even out the barrier of the haves and the have-nots. If you have an optocoper drone and an epic 8K Red Cinema camera, did you put them to good use and compile a hefty list of great shots? On the other hand, if you can only afford to run with a Hero 3, but you maxed that baby out and used all sorts of different mounts to create different angles - well then, kudos, and well noted. The same goes for terrain access. If you had a snowmobile and big crew, were you able to create a number of unique backcountry shots? Or, were you limited to a pass at Squaw/Alpine? If so, did you take full advantage of every inch that place has to offer? Thus, with such considerations in this category, the guy with the old GoPro and limited season pass can score the same as, or even higher, than the guy with the drone and a posse on Ski-Doo Summit 850 164 snowmobiles. Simply put - judges will, on a 1-10 scale, look to see how well each entrant used the Equipment and Terrain they had at their finger tips.
- OVERALL IMPRESSION: Did this edit get you excited to go skiing? Did you want to jump out of your seat when you witnessed that ender? Did the journey of the trial and triumph make you remember why we all love skiing and the outdoors? On 1-10 scale how would you score the overall impression of this edit?
- ADULT (18+): People's Choice, 1st, 2nd & 3rd
- TEEN (13-17): People's Choice, 1st, 2nd & 3rd
- GROM (12 & under): People's Choice, 1st, 2nd & 3rd
In total there will be four awards given out within each age group at the 5th Annual Shreddit Showdown. The top 3 contestants from each age group are not eligible for the People's Choice Award; they are, however, still eligible for the Silver Bullet Award. The winners of the following prizes will be picked by judges based on discussed criteria.
1st PLACE - BRAND NEW SKIS & BOOTS FROM THE 2018/2019 SKI SEASON:
- ADULT - Blizzard Skis & Tecnica Ski Boots of choice.
- TEEN - Blizzard Skis & Tecnica Ski Boots of choice.
- GROM - Blizzard Skis & Tecnica Ski Boots of choice. (Grom prize must be Youth & or Jr. sizes only, sorry Dad)
2nd PLACE - BRAND NEW PANTS & JACKET FROM THE 2018/2019 SKI SEASON:
- ADULT - Flylow Pants and Jacket of choice.
- TEEN - Product details to come, but you get the idea.
- GROM - Orage Pants and Jacket of choice. (Grom prize child or youth sizing)
3rd PLACE - BRAND NEW HELMET & GOGGLES FROM THE 2018/2019 SKI SEASON:
- ADULT - Smith Helmet and Goggle of choice.
- TEEN - Smith Helmet and Goggle of choice.
- GROM - Smith Helmet and Goggle of choice.
PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD:
(The People's Choice award is based on the contestant who received the most votes during the allocated voting time frame. Entries that receive a podium spot in their age category are not eligible.)
- ADULT - GoPro HERO6 Black.
- TEEN - GoPro HERO6 Black.
- GROM - GoPro HERO6 Black.
SILVER BULLET AWARD:
(The Silver Bullet Award is not limited to an age category, but rather, it will be awarded to the best line, trick, or crash of all the contest entries, regardless of age and entry category. The prize for the Silver Bullet Award will be handed out to the skier or athlete depicted in the video, rather than the creator of the video itself, unless it happens to be the same person. The prize awarded will be a BCA airbag. Granite Chief staff and affiliates will select the Silver Bullet Award winner. The prize for the Silver Bullet Award will be awarded at the 5th Annual Shreddit Showdown awards ceremony, to be held at the Tahoe Art Haus and Cinema on March 28th, 2018 at 7:30pm.)
- BEST LINE, TRICK OR CRASH - Backcountry Access Avalanche Airbag Pack.
*Note: All prizes for the 5th Annual Shreddit Showdown are based on availability, Granite Chief is not responsible if contestants miss order deadlines or fail to communicate with company and shop.*
ELIGIBILITY FOR THE 5TH ANNUAL SHREDDIT SHOWDOWN:
The Shreddit Showdown Ski Movie Contest is open to legal residents of the United States. Employees of Granite Chief, Blizzard, Tecnica, Smith, GoPro, FlyLow and Orage are not eligible to participate or win. Sponsors reserve the right to verify all eligibility requirements.
Please note: Entries submitted online will be eligible for the First Place Prize (as described above), Second Place Prize (as described above), Third Place Prize (as described above), Silver Bullet Award (as described above), and the People’s Choice Award (as described above). Granite Chief Ski & Mountain Shop, and participating award providers reserve the right to exclude and delete contest entries based on vulgarity and offensive content.
Entry must be the original work of the entrant and entrant must be the sole owner of the copyright of such entry. Entry must be in keeping with the sponsors’ image and may not be inappropriate or offensive, as determined by the sponsors in their sole discretion, nor can it defame or invade publicity rights or privacy of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person’s personal or property rights or any other third-party rights. The sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any entry they deem to be offensive, inappropriate, that is not in keeping with sponsors’ image or that is otherwise not in compliance with the terms of these Official Rules. This includes entries submitted by or for hire filming by businesses competing with Granite Chief Ski and Mountain Shop. We reserve the right of non-compete within the ski retail and service industry. Entrant must have obtained express written consent to submit any entry that contains persons other than entrant or third-party elements not owned by entrant and, if requested to do so, produce such written consent from appropriate parties in a form and manner acceptable to the sponsors. Please do not use any other shops or sponsors logos in your video, you could be disqualified.
By submitting an entry, entrant acknowledges and agrees that sponsors may obtain many entries in connection with this contest and/or other contests staged and/or promoted by the sponsors, and that such entries may be similar or identical in theme, idea, format or other respects to other entries submitted in connection with this contest and/or other contests sponsored by the sponsors or submitted for other reasons or other materials developed by the sponsors. Entrant waives any and all claims entrant may have had, may have, and/or may have in the future, that any entry and/or other works accepted, reviewed and/or used by the entrant may be similar to his/her entry, or that any compensation is due to entrant in connection with such entry or other works used by sponsors.
The sponsors of the 5th Annual Shreddit Showdown Ski Movie Contest reserve the right to extend the end date for submissions through March, depending on the snow conditions.
USE OF ENTRY: By submitting an entry to the 5th Annual Shreddit Showdown, entrant grants the Sponsors and their designees an irrevocable, royalty-free, nonexclusive, worldwide perpetual license to use the entry and his/her name, city and state of residence for credit purposes in Sponsors’ online galleries, without further compensation, notification or permission, unless prohibited by law. In addition, each winner grants to the Sponsors and their designees an irrevocable, royalty-free, nonexclusive, worldwide perpetual license to use and distribute the entry (as submitted, or as cropped by the Sponsors), and his/her name, city and state of residence for credit purposes, in any and all media now or hereafter known, including without limitation for purposes of promotion of this Contest except as otherwise stated herein, without further compensation, notification or permission. (We get to use your video for stuff, and in the process we’re trying to make you more famous bro.)
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION: By submitting an entry to the 5th Annual Shreddit Showdown you are agreeing that your personal information collected in connection with this contest may be used by Granite Chief, without limitation, for marketing and promotional purposes.
Released Parties (as defined below) are not responsible for late, lost, garbled, damaged, incomplete, delayed, undelivered, or misdirected entries or photographs or for computer, technical, printing, typographical, human or other errors relating to or in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, inability to access any website associated with the Contest, errors which may occur in the administration of the Contest, the processing or judging of entries, the announcement of the prizes or in any Contest-related materials. If for any reason the Contest (or any portion thereof) is not capable of running as planned, including infection by tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, Sponsors reserve the right, at their sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest and, if terminated, at its discretion, determine winners from among all non-suspect, eligible entries received up to time of such action using judging procedure described above. By participating, entrant agrees (i) to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsors and judges, which are final and binding in all respects, and (ii) to hold the Sponsors and their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, prize suppliers and advertising and promotion agencies, and the respective directors, officers, employees and agents of the foregoing (collectively, the “Released Parties”), harmless against any and all claims and liability arising, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, out of or in connection with participation in this Contest, acceptance and use of any prize or Released Parties’ use of any of the rights granted herein. Sponsors may disqualify (and void all associated entries) anyone from participating in the Contest or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines that such person is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, deception or other unfair practices, or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrant or Sponsors’ representatives or who is otherwise not in compliance with the terms of these rules. ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES AND OTHER REMEDIES (INCLUDING ATTORNEYS’ FEES) FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.